The differences between the two include the following:
- The Alameda County ordinances does not require reusable plastic bags to contain recycled content. The state law, regulated by the state recycling entity CalRecycle, requires reusable bags to be manufactured with recycled content materials.
- The Alameda County ordinance does not allow bioplastic or compostable bags as compliant bags. The state law does.
- The Alameda County ordinance covers all retail stores. The state law does not.
- The Alameda County ordinance covers restaurants and eating establishments. The state law does not.
- Violations in Alameda County are governed by Alameda County’s ordinance and enforced by the Alameda County Waste Management Authority.
Please keep in mind that Alameda County affected stores must comply with the requirements of the Alameda County Reusable Bag Ordinance, even where different from the state law.